International staff and overseas working

Updated 15 January 2021

We know that this is an uncertain time for everyone and we’re doing our best, through these pages, to support you and make sure you have all the information you need.

We’re also aware that international colleagues who are in the UK on a visa will have additional concerns, so we’ll be publishing updates on how coronavirus is affecting immigration and visas as we receive them from the Home Office. Immigration and visa updates are available on the Human Resources website, where you can sign up to receive an email alert whenever we update the page.

UK Visas and Immigration also has a dedicated page for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents, which covers advice for visa applicants and holders who are in the UK, and also for those currently overseas.

Working at home from an overseas location

It is important to be aware of the University’s position on working overseas, and the factors that you, as an individual, should be aware of.

  • The University’s position is that employees should work from the UK, unless a role requires work to be carried out elsewhere.
  • Working from another country is only permitted in exceptional and strategically important cases.
  • Working remotely from overseas must be approved in advance, even in the current circumstances. If you have a reason to request a period of overseas working, please discuss this with your line manager/ Head of School in the first instance.

Further information on the important factors relating to working overseas is available on the Human Resources website, For other queries please contact