Spring term arrangements

Updated 4 March 2021

We are following Government guidance and finalising plans (including making teaching space COVID-secure) to reintroduce face-to-face teaching over the rest of this term for students on practical or practice-based courses who need specialist resources to complete their studies.

If you need be in face-to-face teaching on 8 March, you will hear from your school by 4 March. If you will be resuming face-to-face teaching after 8 March but before the end of term on 26 March, you will be contacted by your school by 9 March.

If you have not heard from your school by 9 March please do not travel to campus and assume you will continue with online learning and teaching until you hear otherwise.

The Government guidance recognises that exceptional circumstances may make it necessary for students to be on campus, for example if you need access to University facilities in order to be able to study or if it is better for you to be in Leeds for your health and wellbeing.

Regardless of when you return / travel to Leeds, all students and postgraduate researchers must be tested for COVID-19 – and found negative – before they can interact with others or use facilities on campus.

Please check the information below and our FAQs to see how you are affected by the changes.

Before returning / travelling to the University

For those of you returning to Leeds, or who live in Leeds, please remember to follow government guidance on social contact. If available, please use a local community testing programme before you travel to Leeds.

Once you have returned to campus (and finished self-isolation if travelling from outside the UK), you should take a lateral flow test twice in the week of your return – immediately upon arrival and then again three days later. After that, you are encouraged to take twice weekly lateral flow tests.

Twice weekly testing will help break the chain of transmission, identify asymptomatic infections, and further ensure everyone’s safety on campus, enabling a return to face-to-face teaching as soon as is possible. Book asymptomatic (lateral flow) coronavirus test on campus.

View our FAQs about testing.

If you test positive for COVID-19 you will be required to self-isolate for 10 days and you will need to assist NHS Test and Trace with contact tracing. Your household will need to follow the appropriate guidance.

If you are arriving from outside the UK

The government guidance is not to travel to campus unless you are in the group above who are allowed to return at this time. We understand that some students who do not need to be on campus have already made international travel bookings which would be difficult or expensive to change. In this situation we will welcome and support you. Make sure you let us know when you plan to arrive by completing our international arrival form so that we can support your travel and arrival.

If you have not made travel plans yet, follow the guidance to wait for further information before booking your travel. We will support you to study online until you are advised to come to Leeds.

For further advice about planning international travel or returning to Leeds, please see the travel FAQS or contact internationalwelcome@leeds.ac.uk

Frequently asked questions about returning to Leeds

I have assessments. Should I come back to campus?

  • Unless you have a practical examination which is related to a professional qualification, you do not need to come to campus.
  • All other assessments and all teaching will be provided online until further notice

What is happening with January coursework deadlines?

We will not be imposing penalties for late submission, of up to one week, on all coursework with a deadline between Friday 8 January and Friday 22 January. If you submit your work within seven days of the original coursework deadline you will not need to apply for this extension.

This applies to coursework already set and does not apply to timed assessments that are scheduled for the examination period. The usual mechanisms for applying for extensions, or other adjustments, for mitigating circumstances will remain open to all students. You are encouraged to use these channels and we will continue to consider all such requests sympathetically.

Coursework is a piece of work or activity completed outside of formal timetabled sessions. This may include essays, projects, reports and online assessment. An Online Time-Limited Assessment is a timetabled activity with a duration of 48 hours or less that must be completed within the prescribed timeframe.  Extensions do not apply to this type of assessment. 

For further definitions of assessment types, please refer to your school or faculty’s Code of Practice on Assessment.  

The extension applies to all taught programmes. Postgraduate researchers should discuss their personal circumstances with their supervisor and any adjustment to deadlines will need to be agreed on an individual basis. 

I have been unwell and not been able to complete my assessments to the best of my ability. What can I do?

You should follow our usual mitigating circumstances process if your personal circumstances have impacted your assessments.   

What if I can’t come back to campus when I am asked to return?

Once you are notified about your return date, if you are unable to return to Leeds to continue your studies you must notify your school using the Late Arrival Notification form

Travelling back to Leeds from inside the UK

Once you know your expected return date you should take a COVID-19 test and achieve a negative result before you travel. To minimise the risk of transmission to others when you travel, you should preferably use private transport wherever possible and only use public transport if you have no other option.

When using a private vehicle:

  • avoid car sharing with anyone outside your household or support bubble
  • rigorously follow the safer travel guidance for passengers to reduce the risk of transmission to others where this is not possible

If you need to use public transport:

However you travel, make sure you:

  • wear a face covering unless exempt
  • Keep your distance from people from other households when you travel, where possible
  • Wash or sanitise your hands regularly
  • avoid the busiest routes, as well as busy times like the rush hour
  • download the NHS COVID-19 app before you travel, if possible and check in where you see official NHS COVID-19 QR code posters

Travelling to Leeds from outside the UK

Before you travel, it is essential to read the advice and UK government rules on testing, travel and self-isolation on arrival which apply to students travelling into the UK. You can find these on our arrival webpage.

Keep checking the UK government guidance on travel, self-isolation and testing, as it is changing regularly.

As you are required to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in the UK you need to take a lateral flow test at the end of your period of self-isolation, not immediately on arrival. Follow the instructions on regular testing after this.

Find out about the support available for students who are self-isolating on arrival and at other times.

It is essential that you follow the government guidance during the national lockdown including the Stay at Home guidance, and regularly check for any changes.

For information about arriving in Leeds from outside the UK please see the arrivals pages on our website. Make sure you let us know when you plan to arrive by completing our international arrival form so that we can support your travel and arrival.

I’m a postgraduate researcher – how does this affect me?

New and existing postgraduate research students will be welcome to arrive or return at any point. If you can conduct your research from home, you should do this. If you need to, you may use any COVID-safe facilities on campus such as laboratories to conduct your research. If you are accessing the campus at any point, we encourage you to take a weekly lateral flow test.

I’m an international student and I’ve already booked travel to come back to Leeds. What should I do?

If you have already made your travel plans and cannot change them or it is expensive to do so, you can travel to Leeds as planned. Make sure you let us know when you plan to arrive on our international arrival form so that we can support your travel and arrival.

For further advice about planning international travel or returning to Leeds, please email internationalwelcome@leeds.ac.uk or see the FAQs for new international arrivals

I’m an international student – how will any period of remote study affect my visa?

Visa concessions allow for learning to be provided online during the 2020/21 academic year. You can find more information about visas and remote study on our website for students.

Additionally, we would like to inform you that the UK government has recently announced that students who start a one-year Masters programme in January 2021 will also remain eligible for the Graduate route, even if they are studying remotely, provided they enter the UK before 27 September 2021. Please note that your School may require you to arrive in Leeds before this date depending on the course.

I am facing additional costs related to COVID-19 – can I get financial support?

We understand that many students are experiencing unexpected costs related to COVID-19. If these costs are causing you financial pressure, please contact LUU Help and Support for advice about sources of hardship funding.