Statistics and support available

Updated 23 September 2021

This page aims to answer any questions our staff and students might have about developing symptoms of COVID-19, testing positive or self isolation. It also shows statistics on coronavirus cases among our staff and students.

Let us know if you are self-isolating or have tested positive so we can arrange support.

Find out who needs to self isolate, view the  current requirements for self-isolation and the government’s guidance on self-isolating when you travel to the UK.

If you’re a student and you already know that you need to self-isolate please see our information on how we can support you. This includes information about our support package which includes welfare packages of food and toiletries, financial aid through the hardship fund and continued support such as follow-up calls and counselling appointments.

If you’re a member of staff, see our information on how to access support if you need it.

Coronavirus cases among University of Leeds students and staff

The health and safety of our community is our absolute priority and we are publishing this data to ensure we are as clear and transparent with you as possible. The table below shows numbers of positive COVID-19 test results reported to the University among our 38,000-plus students and 9,200-plus staff. This information will next be updated 29 September 2021.

Confirmed coronavirus cases for the seven days from Monday 13 September 2021:

13 Sep 2021 14 Sep 2021 15 Sep 2021 16 Sep 2021 17 Sep 2021 18 Sep 2021 19 Sep 2021
Student 0 2 0 0 0 1 1
Staff member 1 4 2 0 2 1 1
Other* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daily total 1 6 2 0 2 2 2

* Represents non-University employees, such as contractors.

Cases are represented on the day individuals received positive test results, not the day results were reported to the University.

(The figures now include additional cases we were informed of after previous reporting weeks closed). See this page for previous weeks’ figures.

Support for students

You should let us know you are self-isolating as soon as possible and you’ll be able to access the support available from the University and Leeds University Union (LUU):

Test and trace

What do I do if I have symptoms, a test result or need to self-isolate

Sharing of data

Other FAQs

NHS Test and Trace

The NHS Test and Trace service has been set up to:

  • provide testing for those with symptoms of coronavirus to find out if they have the virus
  • get in touch with anyone who has had a positive test result to help them share information about any close recent contacts they have had
  • notify individuals who are defined as close contacts of a person who has received a positive test result

View the latest guidance from NHS Test and Trace about who should book a test and when

Find out who needs to self isolate, view the  current requirements for self-isolation and the government’s guidance on self-isolating when you travel to the UK.

If you are unable to immediately book a test near you, try again later as more appointments become available throughout the day. Get help with asking for a coronavirus test.

The University will not share with others the identity of a student or member of staff who has tested positive.

Do I have to use the testing centre at the Gryphon Sports Centre?

No. Information about where to go for testing in Leeds is provided by Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group. Records from test centres will be shared with the relevant public health team.

If I am tested at the Gryphon Testing Centre will they automatically advise the University?

No, this is not a University testing facility – it is there for the city of Leeds. The University has allowed the national NHS Test and Trace service to use our campus so that we can support students and staff, given its proximity. It is also being used by local residents.

How do I let you know if I am self-isolating or have tested positive?

Find out what to do on our reporting you have COVID-19 page.

How will the University support students who are self-isolating?

We understand that this may be a worrying time for you, and we want to support you during this period. Your school and other support services are here to help you. Please see our information about how we can support you during self-isolation. This includes information about getting food and essential items while self-isolating, and how to access healthcare if you need it. You can email us at or phone  0113 3801 400 if you need help.

If you need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK and would like to request a food, kitchen or bedding pack, complete the international arrivals form.

I’m a student. Do I need to tell my friends that I am self-isolating?

If you live in a household with your friends you should let them know. Otherwise you are not expected to do this – the government advice is that you can inform people you have been in close contact with during the last 48 hours so that they can be aware and ensure they continue to follow good hand hygiene and social distancing. Those individuals do not need to take any action unless they have symptoms themselves or they are contacted directly by the NHS Test and Trace service.

I’m a member of staff. How will a period of self-isolation or sickness absence be recorded?

Any period that you are unwell will be recorded as sickness absence and you will be entitled to sick pay in the normal way.

If you are well and it has been agreed with your manager that you can work from home, your absence will not be recorded as sickness absence. This will also be the case if you do not normally work from home but your manager agrees that you can by exception.

If you are well, normally work on campus and you are unable to work from home, your absence will be recorded as self-isolation by your local sickness administrator. You will be entitled to sick pay for any period that you are required to self-isolate. For this group only we will introduce management discretion (with HR Management support) if a member of staff uses their full pay sickness entitlement. This will enable an extension to the full pay period, normally up to 10 working days.

I’m a member of staff. Do I need to tell my colleagues that I am self-isolating?

We don’t need you to do this – the government advice is that you can inform people you have been in close contact with during the last 48 hours so that they can be aware and ensure they continue to follow good hand hygiene and social distancing. Those individuals do not need to take any action unless they have symptoms themselves or they are contacted directly by the NHS Test and Trace service.

Will the University inform me if a student or staff member is being required to self-isolate?

There is no action for individuals to take if a student/staff member has symptoms or has been asked to self-isolate and as such we will not be circulating general communications.

The person who is self-isolating may choose to contact people they know and we ask that all students and staff act responsibly if wishing to share personal information.

Will you tell me if someone that has been on the University campus tests positive?

We have a number of track and trace systems in place and when someone tests positive we will be gathering what information we can to assist us in managing the incident internally.

In addition, the free NHS COVID-19 app was launched on 24 September to help users identify if they have been in close contact with someone who subsequently tests positive for COVID-19. Members of the university community are encouraged to download and to use it. Posters with QR check-in codes to scan with the app will be located at key points around campus.

In the meantime, where possible, we will aim to communicate with the individuals who have been sharing any direct space with the person who has tested positive, and advise them that the NHS Test and Trace service may make contact.

The University will not be making decisions as to whether any other individuals are defined as close contacts. The person who has tested positive is expected to provide details of any close contacts to the NHS Test and Trace service. It will be for that service to make contact and provide official advice to individuals deemed to be close contacts.

What personal details will the University share with Public Health England?

We will not share any names or other details of positive cases with PHE or other external bodies unless required to do so. The local public health team has asked for the University’s support in collecting information and sharing only the number of cases we have at the University.

Will you be doing any extra cleaning if someone tells you they have symptoms?

We have a robust cleaning regime in place with additional cleaning of high touch point areas across campus. In addition many local spaces have cleaning stations which all staff and students can use to clean their areas after use. We are promoting a clear desk/workstation approach to support the cleaning team, and everyone is using hand sanitiser and washing their hands more frequently. All of this combined means that there is no further additional cleaning required.

Will you be doing any extra cleaning if someone tests positive?

When we are notified that a positive test case has occurred from someone who has been on University grounds then as part of gathering the information a review of the cleaning will be conducted. In many cases time will have elapsed from when the person was last on site and, given the enhanced regular cleaning already taking place, it is highly likely that the area will have already received a number of cleans of high touch points and other spaces. Where this is the case no further cleaning will be required. If the space has not received a regular clean then additional cleaning may be required and all people in the area will be notified as this may require the space being closed temporarily.

I’m a member of staff. Can I socialise with work colleagues?

We recognise that staff will form friendships with work colleagues, will wish to socialise outside work, and will follow governmental social distancing guidelines. Our social distancing measures in the workplace are strict to ensure that we can provide a covid-secure environment for those working on campus. If you socialise with colleagues other than household/family/bubble members, we would ask that you observe social distancing measures (as are in place on campus). This will further prevent the spread of the virus to colleagues, family and friends, will enable us to continue to provide a COVID-secure environment, and will protect the University community.

What happens if we get a cluster of cases?

A cluster of cases is defined as more than one case from the same area. We are working very closely with the local public health team and, as we are providing information on the number of cases, they will alert us to any patterns or clusters. We will then work together to investigate and identify what appropriate action is required.